Ijebu Igbo (Yoruba: Ìjẹ̀bú-Igbó) is a town in Ogun State, Nigeria. It is approximately a 15-minute drive north of Ijebu Ode. Ijebu Igbo is the headquarters of Ijebu North Local Government Authority, of Ogun state, Nigeria.
Ijebu Igbo is divided into 5 clans:
- and Japara.
An Oba (King) is enthroned to govern each of these clans. These Obas are typically classified as “Third-class” and they all submit to the headship of the Orimolusi of Ijebu-
The Orimolusi is a First-class and he is the supreme head of Ijebu-Igbo.
Some of the facts you need to know about the ancient town are:
- 1 – Ijebu igbo is the home of PONMO IJEBU; Ijebu Igbo has over 30 ponmo making industry known as “BUKA“… Also Ijebu Igbo is the major supplier of PONMO to Lagos state, Oyo state and wide distribution within Ogun state.
- 2 – Ijebu igbo is the home of COW MEAT; Ijebu igbo is one of the originators of butcher business known as “ALAPATA“. Ijebu igbo is one of the major distributor/supplier of cow meat to Epe, Aja, Sagamu and all other towns within and around Ijebu land.
People come from other towns to buy cow meat in Ijebu igbo because they are blessed with professional. Butchers. May God continue to bless them.
- 3 – Ijebu Igbo is the home of Agric Produce; Ijebu Igbo is the 2nd largest town in Ogun State in terms of LANDMASS, There are arable land for farming. Also there are hundreds of villages and hamlet under ijebu igbo.
Majority of the people in the rural area of the town engaged in farming with then following outputs:
- GARRI PRODUCTION,
- BANANA, PALM-OIL,
- COCOA, COLA NUT,
- BAMBOO STICK etc are some of the produce that we produce in Ijebu Igbo.
- 4 – Ijebu igbo is d home of spiritualist; Ijebu igbo is blessed with hundreds of spiritualists. CLERIC, ALFAS, PASTORS HERBALIST, TRADITIONALIST.
They are capable of handling any spiritual problem if they are consulted. though, there are fake among them, but if u need the real and original ones among them, you
will get them.
- 5 – Ijebu igbo is the home of politicians and Administrators; Ijebu igbo has produced great politicians in the history of Nigeria and is still producing politicians. Also, Ijebu igbo indigenes are good administrators and great ambassadors whenever, wherever they find themselves.
People like Mike Adenuga, Abraham Adesanya, Late Buruji Kasham, Sen Durojaye, even World Africa Bank is headed by Ijebu Igbo indigene.
- 6 – Ijebu Igbo is the home of Scholars; I appreciate our forefathers and our fathers for that… They didn’t go to school but they try all their best to educate their children both male and female and its a great honor for the town. As at now, a family will have
at least a GRADUATE in their family.
- 7 – OVER 80-CARS USUALLY TRANSPORT PONMO FROM IJEBU IGBO TO LAGOS ON DAILY BASIS (UNBELIEVEABLE BUT ITS TRUE!)
- 8 – OVER 120 COWS KILLED AND BUTCHERED FOR FOOD IN IJEBU IGBO ON DAILY BASIS. UNBELIEVEABLE BUT ITS TRUE!
- 9 – OVER 25 BUSES AND CARS USUALLY TRANSPORT BANANA OUT OF IJEBU IGBO ON DAILY BASIS. UNBELIEVEABLE BUT ITS TRUE
- 10 – IJEBU IGBO IS D BEST TOWN THAT PRODUCED MANY SENATORS IN IJEBU LAND, No other town in Ijebu land that has d number of senators that Ijebu igbo have.
(Unbelieveable but its true!).
- 11 – IJEBU IGBO HAS OVER 50-PROFESSORS, HUNDREDS OF DOCTORATE HOLDER(PHD), THOUSANDS OF MASTERS HOLDERS(Msc), HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF GRADUATES(BSC). (UNBELIEVEABLE BUT ITS TRUE!)
- 12 – Ijebu Igbo is known for sawmill business. There over 50 sawmills in the town.